Chances are, if you’re reading this blog, you probably know me. This is going under the assumption that you’re a family member or close friend with a couple of minutes to spare to come and read my ramblings. But, for the two or three of you out there who’ve stumbled upon this blog and aren’t a part of my inner circle, here’s a bit more about me. So here they are, the twenty bits o’ info about me, as promised, and in no particular order:
1. I have one older brother; he’s fourteen years older than I am and lives in a Kansas City, Missouri, suburb with my awesome sister-in-law and my uber-talented niece and nephew.
2. My husband is fourteen years older than me, too.
3. My twins were born seven weeks premature and stayed in the NICU roughly two weeks.
4. I think the lead singer for Young The Giant has one of the best male voices out there today.
5. My first job was as a dishwasher at a nursing home in a nearly-rural Missouri community.
6. Instead of “the talk” when I was in middle school, my mom went to the local library and spent a ton of time finding just the right book for me to read. “Let me know if you have any questions,” she said when she handed it to me. And then my best friend’s mom got the same book for her.
7. My mom died of cancer in 2009, and I miss her today like I did in those first few hours after she’d passed. Maybe even more.
8. I met my hubby on the internet – in a WebTV chat room. We marked twelve years of marriage last May!
9. I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work from SUNY Fredonia, and worked as a long term care social worker for the first four years after I graduated.
10. I was lucky enough to have my dream car for a time. I had a VW Beetle (the newer version, shiny and black) . . . and promptly found out about three months after getting it that I was pregnant with twins. Sigh. I still miss that car.
11. It’s the little things that stay with you sometimes: I clearly remember an English instructor at Maple Woods telling me to be a writer. “Don’t be a social worker,” he said with a grimace. “Be a writer!” It’s only taken me some fifteen years to finally heed his advice.
12. I grew up on forty acres about twenty minutes outside of a little farming community in northwest Missouri. There were cows just past my backyard, and, in the spring, for fun, I went mushroom hunting.
13. In high school, I had the biggest crush on Tom Berenger. I remember my mom teasing me because he was, well, older and calling him a “grandpa.”
14. I laugh out loud at just about every episode of “Dog With a Blog” and “Austin and Ally.”
15. I absolutely love horrible movies, the worse the better.
16. My dream jobs: being a professional student or working with the Rifftrax team. Those guys are so smartly hilarious.
17. One day, I’d like to write a zombie novel and a bodice-ripper. I have slim hopes of either of these happening. But hey, it’s fun to dream. (Maybe I should try a combo of those two; I don’t think that genre’s been tapped yet.)
18. I do not get Twitter. I mean, I’m “on” there and I send out an occasional tweet. But I still don’t get it.
19. My favorite book of the Bible is Ruth. (No wonder I decided to incorporate it in my first book!)
20. I cannot wait for heaven. While I love life here (most days), I can’t help but long for the day when I can go – and I firmly believe I will just as I believe all who profess a faith in Jesus and ask for forgiveness of sin will. Until then, I will do my best to serve the Father with the abilities I have.